Getting started with remote camera triggering
From the Zone Control Display swipe from right to left. This will bring you to the Camera Triggering screen. You have the choice of selecting Master (transmitter) or Remote (receiver)
- From the Zone Control Display screen swipe from right to left. This will bring you to the Camera Triggering display.
- Tap on Master.
- Here in the Zone Selection screen, select the zone you want to choose. At this time only one zone can be selected. We are working hard to make it possible to select multiple zones.
- Then swipe from top to bottom and tap on the Channel Selector icon
- In this screen, the RF Noise Detector scans all channels for RF noise present in the venue you are shooting in. The more Green, the less amount of RF noise. If you see Yellow or Red, you need to change to a channel with more Green in the RF Noise Detector.
- The Raven also scans each channel you scroll to using the Remote Camera Detector for other Raven or PocketWizard devices set to that particular channel. Find a channel that does not show the camera icon on the left side of the channel number.
- Once you have found a channel with the least amount of RF noise and no remote cameras set to that channel, press to make your selection.
- Then press the Back/Home button to bring you back to the Zone Selection screen.
- Now you can do a PING Test by pressing and holding the PING icon on the touchscreen to see if the remotes you have set up are within signal range and active. If your remote is near the limits of the signal range or in high noise area, the circle around the zone letter will turn Yellow or Red and you should consider changing your channel. However, a Green circle around the zone you selected confirms your remote camera is within signal range and active.
- Once you have selected your channel and performed a PING test you are ready to shoot. Leave the Raven in the Zone Selection screen to trigger your remotes.
- From the Zone Control Display screen swipe from right to left. This will bring you to the Camera Triggering display. Tap on Remote.
- Then rotate to Radio and tap on
- On the next screen, swipe from top to bottom and tap on the channel selector icon .
- In this screen, the RF Noise Detector scans all channels for RF noise present in the venue you are shooting in. The more green, the less amount of RF noise. The Raven also scans each channel you scroll to using the Remote Camera Detector for other Raven or PocketWizard devices set to that particular channel. Once you have selected the channel you want and press when finished.
- Then tap on . Here you can select the zones you want for your Raven receiver and then press the Back/Home button twice.
- This screen shows you the RF Noise level, the channel you have selected, and the zones you have selected.
PocketWizard as receiver
When setting up your PocketWizard Plus IIIe, or Plus IVe, radio unit you will need to be in Long Range Mode, LR or RxLR, when using it for remote camera triggering. Simply tap the Menu button until you see LR or RxLR in the screen. Now you can set it to the same channel as the Raven transmitter. You will need to make sure your PocketWizard device is updated to the latest firmware to work properly with the Raven.
Confirm your selections by pressing the TEST button on the Raven and look to see if the PocketWizard radio units is receiving the signal from the Raven transmitter.
When using the Raven with a PocketWizard Plus IIIe or Plus IVe as the receiver and you place it in the hot shoe of the remote camera, they can both keep count of the frames fired by the remote camera and send that frame count info back to the master Raven. You will also need to set the Plus IIIe to LR mode when using it for remote camera triggering. You will have up to 80 channels to choose from.
*When using Sony cameras you will need take the camera body out of electronic shutter/silent mode in order to have a flash sync pulse for the Raven receiver or Plus IIIe to be able to count the number of frames fired by the remote camera and send it to the master Raven.
*It is recommended that the remote camera be set to manual focus. At this time, the Raven will not trigger the remote camera unless it is in focus when using auto focus.
*To learn more about the PocketWizard E Release software visit the PocketWizard Wiki E Release page
*PocketWizard Plus IIIe requires E Release firmware version 2.716 or higher