Setting up PocketWizard radios to the Raven for lighting
Setting up the Raven
*PocketWizard compatibility for Japanese users will be available late 2022
- To set up your Raven to trigger PocketWizard lighting equipment, start from the Zone Control Display and swipe from bottom to top of the touchscreen.
- Then rotate the dial to the Brand icon and tap on it.
- Scroll through the 1st column using the command ring dial until Wizard is in the white space, then press ✓
- Now you can select the channel based on the least amount of RF Noise available (the most amount of green in the RF noise level bar), and press ✓. Be sure to set the same channel into your PocketWizard lighting equipment.
- Press Back/Home button to return to Zone Control Display so you can begin taking pictures.
Setting up the Plus IIIe and Plus IVe as a receiver
- Start by making sure your Plus IIIe/Plus IVe device is updated to the most recent E-Relase firmware. *Click here for a list of the most current E-Release firmware for each compatible PocketWizard device
- Next set your Plus IIIe/Plus IVe receiver to RX Only Mode by pressing the Mode button. When using the Plus IIIe and Plus IVe as a receiver for triggering strobes, the Raven only sends a signal for this mode only. Not LR Mode
- Now set your channel in your Plus IIIe/Plus IVe using the ▽ or △ buttons.
- Then set the zone you want to use for the Plus IIIe/Plus IVe.
- Lastly, connect your Plus IIIe/Plus IVe to your strobe using a flash sync cable.
- Your Plus IIIe/Plus IVe is now set and ready for use.
- Start by making sure your FlexTT5/FlexTT6 device is updated to the most recent E-Relase firmware. *Click here for a list of the most current E-Release firmware for each compatible PocketWizard device
- Next, connect your FlexTT5/FlexTT6 to your computer using the supplied USB cable and the PocketWizard Utility program. Click here to download the PocketWizard Utility if you do not have it installed.
- Once connected to the computer, use the PocketWizard Utility to select the same channel that you have chosen for the Raven.
- Now use the slider switch on the left side of the FlexTT5/FlexTT6 to set the zone (A, B, or C) that you want to use for that Flex device.
- Lastly, connect your FlexTT5/FlexTT6 to your strobe using a flash sync cable.
- Your FlexTT5/FlexTT6 is now set and ready for use.
Setting up the PowerMC2 with the Raven
- Start by making sure your PowerMC2 is updated to the most recent E-Relase firmware. *Click here for a list of the most current E-Release firmware for each compatible PocketWizard device
- Since the PowerMC2 is a PocketWizard device, you will need to set the Brand selection to Wizard even though it is a Paul C Buff strobe. If you were to use the Paul C Buff CyberSync Transceiver, then you will want to have the Brand set to Buff, since it is a Paul C Buff product.
- Next place the PowerMC2 into the port on top of the Einstein
- To set the channel, press the Einstein’s Function button until the Channel selection box is highlighted
- The Einstein's LCD will display C-TL 01. Now change channels with the Adjust buttons. *When using the PowerMC2 channels 1 through 20 are available
- Press the Function button again to specify a zone. You can select zones A through C since that is all the Raven allows.
- Your PowerMC2 is now ready for use
*Only 3 zones (1, 2, and 3) are available for use with TTL. However, you can mix both Manual and TTL, set in different zones, for the same picture. When using the MC2 with Nikon FX sensor camera bodies, and FX lenses, you might need to set your XSync speed to 1/200th. This will switch to the FP/HSS sooner and avoid a tiny bit of clipping when using 1/250th on some Nikon cameras. You can often use SyncView at 1/320th without issue. It is recommended to turn off all optical slaves on the strobes when using the PocketWizard Plus IIIe, Plus IVe, FlexTT5, FlexTT6, and PowerMC2.